The purpose of the League of Women Voters of Southwest Missouri (herein LWVSWMO or League) is to promote political responsibility through informed and active participation of citizens in government. LWVSWMO does not support or oppose any political party or candidate. LWVSWMO is political in that it takes positions on selected governmental issues after study and agreement. The nonpartisanship of LWVSWMO is the foundation of our public credibility and must be carefully maintained. The objective of this policy is to prevent actual or apparent conflict in the eyes of the public. In keeping with the nonpartisanship of this organization, the following policies have been adopted:
- Each Board Member has the responsibility to maintain the nonpartisanship nature of the organization.
- Co-Presidents are to refrain from active partisan political activity or active partisan support of a candidate during their term in office.
- Board Members may participate in public political actions (e.g. signing petitions, posting lawn signs, hosting functions, attending event/fundraiser, etc.), as long as these are recognized as their personal actions and do not imply LWVSWMO endorsement.
- Board Members must resign from the Board should they choose to run for an elected office.
- A Board Member may not speak publicly or work against a League position.
- The political activities of the spouse or relative of a Board Member are to be considered as separate and distinct from the activities of the Board Member.
Approved October 23, 2017
- League members who run for office may mention their membership in the league, if it does not imply that there is an endorsement.
- League members may serve as appointed members of county, city, state or national boards or commissions.
- Every League member must clearly differentiate between personal opinions and League positions.
- When acting in public as League representatives, Members must not allow partisanship to be discernible.
- When acting in public as League representatives, Members must be aware of League positions.
- League members may have yard signs promoting a candidate or a League sign promoting the right to vote, but may not display both signs at the same time.
- Each Member of LWVSWMO may have a personal party affiliation and are encouraged to become informed about candidates and issues.
- LWVSWMO Social Media and official correspondence will reflect the League's nonpartisan nature and will be posted/authored by authorized members only.